By Betsy Lillian of Solar Industry Mag:
On Thursday night, Gov. Henry McMaster, R-S.C., signed into law The Energy Freedom Act, which is expected to bring myriad benefits to the solar industry.
- Requires the Public Service Commission (PSC) to initiate a new proceeding to review and approve rates and terms provided to large-scale solar facilities, ensuring contract terms are reasonable for such projects;
- Allows large energy consumers, such as industrial manufacturers, to negotiate directly with a renewable energy supplier to more easily realize savings from solar;
- Eliminates net metering caps and extends the existing residential solar rates for two years until the PSC determines a successor program;
- Provides for more transparency and competition in long-term utility generation planning; and
- Gives the PSC the authority to establish a new neighborhood community solar program, with the opportunity to expand solar access to low-income customers.
“On behalf of the entire team at Southern Current, I’d like to thank Governor McMaster, Senator Davis, all those that voted unanimously in the House and the Senate to guarantee a fair and level playing field for solar in the great state of South Carolina; and the hundreds that worked behind the scenes to make it happen.” – Jason Epstein, CEO of Southern Current DG
Look out for more news later this week regarding how this bill affects current and new solar customers.