Are you interested in installing solar panels on your South Carolina home? Do you get your electricity from SCE&G? You’re in luck if so, because SCE&G’s Net Metering offer PAYS YOU when you go solar at home!
SCE&G’s Solar Power Net Metering Offer
Local homeowners have access to one of the best solar programs in the state! Under SCE&G’s Solar Power Net Metering Program homeowners can receive FULL RETAIL RATE for all of the energy that is produced by a solar panel system. The process is called “net metering” and allows homeowners who produce their own power from renewable sources to be fairly compensated, including a credit that can be rolled over to the next month
- Here’s how it works:
- For every kWh generated, you offset your current month’s energy usage.
- Any excess energy is carried forward to the next billing period to offset future usage.
- Solar credits are given at the same cost per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for which you are currently charged.
- Example 1: An average usage of 800 kWh per month, at a cost of $0.139 per kWh. Average electricity bill $111.20
- If you produce 401 kWh with solar, you would only be charged for 399 kWh, at a cost of $0.139 per kWh. Example 1 electricity bill $55.46.
- Example 2: If you produce 801 kWh with solar, you would not be charged for power. You would have a credit of 1 kWh or $0.139 which would carry forward to the next month’s bill.
Locations eligible for the SCE&G Solar Net Metering Program
SCE&G’s electric territory covers the metropolitan Charleston area and beyond including the largest cities of Columbia, Aiken, and Beaufort. The map below shows locations within the SCE&G service area eligible for the solar offer (tan color):
Additional Solar Incentives Available In South Carolina
In addition to the SCE&G Solar Power Net Metering Offer, individuals who go solar have the opportunity to take advantage of some remarkable federal and state incentives which decrease the overall cost of installing a solar power system.
30% Federal Solar Tax Credit
The US federal government offers a tax credit to both home and business owners who install solar power. A tax credit worth 30% of the total system cost and installation is available. If the federal tax credit exceeds tax liability, the excess amount may be carried forward to the succeeding taxable year.
25% South Carolina Tax Credit
The state of South Carolina offers an additional tax credit for home and business owners who go solar. The South Carolina solar tax credit is worth 25% of the total cost including installation. The maximum incentive for the SC state tax credit is $3,500, or 50% of taxpayer’s tax liability for that taxable year, whichever is less. This credit has no expiration date and any excess credit may be carried forward up to 10 years.
There’s never been a better time to lower your energy costs with a solar panel installation on your property! Click here to request a free consultation about going solar in South Carolina to learn how much lower your power bill could be.